Reed Smith’s Government Relations Group maintains an extensive administrative law and legislative practice in Washington, D.C., and provides its clients with innovative and comprehensive solutions for legislative and regulatory issues. Our attorneys and legislative consultants offer a broad array of regulatory and government relations capabilities for businesses requiring representation before Congress and agencies of the federal government.
Our overall approach focuses on a thorough knowledge of the law and policies, combined with proactive interaction with key policymakers. Combining these critical elements, we offer high-level capabilities in formulating and articulating clients’ public policy strategies.
Members of our firm practice regularly before the legislative branch, major boards, and agencies of state and federal government, including Congress and the Executive Branch.
We craft individual advocacy strategies to fit each client’s unique needs, including:
- Analyzing client legislative and regulatory concerns and opportunities
- Drafting solutions and implementing those changes in the law
- Advocating client views on Capitol Hill, in executive branch departments and independent federal agencies
- Establishing and administering coalitions of companies and individuals sharing common legislative and regulatory objectives
- Facilitating appropriate Congressional participation in executive branch department and agency deliberations
- Preparing clients for participation in legislative and regulatory processes
- Assisting clients in mobilizing grassroots support within their workforces and localities
- Responding to legislative initiatives and federal agencies’ proposed rulemakings with detailed client impact assessments
- Developing and implementing client strategies to advance administrative and judicial remedies to parallel and support legislative actions and policy goals
While the ability to pinpoint merits and weaknesses of policy and program proposals is critical, equally important is the experience needed to successfully articulate policy goals in dynamic political environments. Our team includes individuals whose previous experience working in Congress and the Executive Branch gives us the acumen needed for effective client representation before the federal government.