Reed Smith recognizes that as the U.S., European, Middle Eastern and global economies – along with the hedge funds, banks and other financial entities that have driven them in recent decades – evolve, there is a growing client need for a comprehensive, fully integrated Hedge Funds Group within Reed Smith’s global platform.
Reed Smith has launched the Hedge Funds Group to better service our many clients involved in the full spectrum of alternative investment vehicles – from hedge funds, to funds of hedge funds, to the broad array of structured investment vehicles and separately managed accounts within other investment platforms. The Reed Smith Hedge Funds Group encompasses lawyers in New York, London, Delaware, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Abu Dhabi and Dubai, with experience in the most currently relevant substantive areas of law, including: financial industry and banking regulation; securities regulation and compliance; litigation and arbitration; restructuring and liquidation; derivatives and structured products documentation, analysis and dispute resolution; tax; fund formation; and the emerging field of hedge fund and funds of hedge funds mergers & acquisitions.
Building upon the diverse legal specialization of its members, the Hedge Funds Group routinely represents parties in the following areas:
- Analysis of legal and structural risks and opportunities in alternative investments
- Advocacy on behalf of parties in alternative investment-related disputes – representing hedge funds, funds of hedge funds, other alternative investment vehicles, independent directors, banks, endowments, pension funds, sovereign wealth funds, companies, family offices and high-net-worth individuals
- Analysis and advocacy regarding complex derivatives and structured products
- Restructuring and wind-down of funds, including all of the legal and strategic issues inherent in modification or dissolution of these complex, multi-national entities – within the United States and Europe, and in multiple offshore jurisdictions (in alliance with local co-counsel)
- Mergers & Acquisitions – including mergers among funds, and acquisitions by funds in complex areas such as banking, publicly traded companies, and sophisticated tax structures
- Regulatory, tax and general legal compliance matters worldwide;
- Fund formation
- Coordination among U.S., European, Asian and Middle Eastern counsel within Reed Smith, and co-counsel in offshore jurisdictions
Our Hedge Funds Group is committed to navigating the myriad issues faced by the industry, and to providing incisive, cutting-edge capabilities. Our focus is client service – anticipating your needs and responding, thereby building deep relationships. Because of this, Reed Smith has a proven track record of understanding the needs of clients and providing them with a great advantage because of our ability to evaluate risks, recognize opportunities and have a keen understanding of the business implications of the legal issues that challenge alternative investment market participants today.