Reed Smith recognizes that as the U.S., European, Asian, Middle Eastern and global economies – along with the hedge funds, banks and other financial entities that have driven them in recent decades – evolve, there is a growing client need for a fully integrated Investment Management Group across Reed Smith’s global platform. Distinguishing itself from Investment Management service platforms within other law firms, Reed Smith’s Investment Management Group globally integrates core investment management attorneys (with specializations ranging from global regulated fund formation and counseling; to U.S., European, Asian and Middle East compliance; to the full spectrum of U.S. ’40 Act issues), with regulatory compliance and enforcement, dispute resolution, restructuring and liquidation specialists. The Group members also work hand-in-hand with Reed Smith’s Global Tax & Benefits Group, and the Firm’s ERISA and Trust & Fiduciary practices on the broad spectrum of global tax, pension and welfare matters that affect many of our Investment Management clients; and with merger & acquisition specialists within Reed Smith on a wide array of transactional matters.
The Investment Management Group’s expertise spans the spectrum of the most currently relevant substantive areas of law, including, to list but a few examples:
- The full spectrum of financial industry and banking regulation issues, across our global platform;
- Securities regulation and compliance – including proactively addressing SEC, FINRA, FSA, OCC, MSRB, CFTC, and market regulatory body compliance and enforcement issues;
- Derivatives and structured products documentation, analysis and dispute resolution;
- Fund formation – including private and publicly offered funds;
- Investment Adviser activities;
- Broker-dealer activities;
- Trust and fiduciary matters;
- Portfolio transactions;
- Product development;
- Litigation, arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution mechanisms;
- Restructuring and liquidation; and
- The evolving field of hedge fund, mutual fund, and funds of funds mergers & acquisitions.
Our Investment Management Group is committed to navigating the myriad issues faced by the industry, and to providing incisive, cutting-edge capabilities. Our focus is client service – anticipating your needs and responding, thereby building deep relationships. Because of this, Reed Smith has a proven track record of understanding the needs of clients and providing them with a great advantage because of our ability to evaluate risks, recognize opportunities and have a keen understanding of the business implications of the legal issues that challenge alternative investment market participants today.