Reed Smith has a team of more than 25 sports lawyers globally, with many years’ experience representing sports teams and organizations, athletes, owners, and sports-related businesses, and advising on the financing and construction of new stadiums and sports arenas. Our interdisciplinary team comprises lawyers from diverse practice groups within the firm, providing a full range of legal services aimed at helping our clients achieve their goals.
The group draws on the strength of the firm’s entertainment and media, general corporate, M&A, litigation, labor and employment, real estate, advertising, antitrust and competition, intellectual property, and communications regulatory practices.
We are well equipped to provide advice and assistance on any aspect of sports law and sports business, having worked with owners, investors and talent. We have extensive experience negotiating day-to-day agreements including:
- Ambush marketing surrounding sporting events
- Broadcast and telecast rights agreements
- Collective bargaining agreements
- Concert agreements for events held in major sporting venues
- Concession agreements
- Contests and sweepstakes
- Distribution agreements for entertainment programming and other items to be distributed over the internet or through closed networks
- Employment agreements
- Financing and construction of new sports stadiums and arenas
- Gaming and contest rules
- Naming rights agreements for major sporting venues
- Social media policies
- Sponsorship, advertising and licensing agreements
- Suite license agreements
- Talent agreements for television networks, radio stations and internet sites
- Ticketing agreements, including internet ticketing agreements
Sports litigation and dispute resolution
Our entertainment and media litigators represent professional sports leagues, franchises and athletes, as well as television networks, cable channels, production companies, authors, apparel manufacturers and many others in disputes involving finance, accounting, television rights, TCPA class actions, false advertising, real estate and insurance.