Located in the corporate and banking center of the country, Reed Smith’s Wilmington office provides a wide variety of legal services to international and domestic entities.
Our expanding Corporate Restructuring practice is an active player in the Bankruptcy Court in the District of Delaware, the center of large chapter 11 bankruptcy cases. We have a significant role in most major chapter 11 filings that occur in Delaware, and our lawyers are regularly in court assisting creditors’ committees, lenders, lessors, vendors, adversary proceeding defendants, or debtors. We focus on the representation of creditors’ committees, real and personal property lessors, telecommunications companies, indenture trustees, secured lenders, and debtors-in-possession in bankruptcy cases, and creditors’ rights litigation in many jurisdictions.
Some of our recent representations include:
- Official committee representations: Birmingham Steel (creditors’ committee), Rouge Industries (creditors’ committee), Zany Brainy (creditors’ committee), Atlantic Gulf Communities (creditors’ committee), Precision Specialty Metals, Inc. (creditors’ committee), Borden Chemicals (creditors’ committee), Toytime.com (creditors’ committee), and Trans-World Airlines (retirees’ committee)
- Publicly traded chapter 11 debtor-in-possession representations: Waterlink, Inc.
- Chapter 11 trustee appointments: publicly traded Quintus Corporation, Acuity Corporation, Mustang.com, Inc., Elcom Technologies Corporation, and TelePad Corporation
- Representation of significant creditor interests: Magnatrax Corporation (creditors’ committee chair); Fleming Companies, Inc. (reclamation committee member/lessors/franchisees); MTS Incorporated (secured lender); Aurora Foods Inc. (indenture trustee); Exodus Communications, Inc. (defendant in $180 million fraudulent conveyance/$36 million preference claim); Integrated Health (creditors’ committee chair); Montgomery Ward (secured creditors); Winstar Communications (secured creditor and large telecommunications provider); Alamo Rent A Car/National Rent A Car (airports and secured creditor); Ameriserve (defendant in $30 million preference claim); and Pillowtex (large vendor and equipment lessor)
Our Wilmington office also handles a broad base of substantial litigation in all Delaware state and federal courts, including the Delaware Court of Chancery, the nation’s premier forum for corporate litigation. We represent corporate and individual clients involving a wide range of areas, including commercial and business litigation, health care, financial services, products liability, employment, environmental, and construction law.
Our litigation capabilities include:
- Complex commercial litigation, particularly contract disputes, creditors’ rights, business torts, banking and lending disputes, and alternative dispute resolution
- Corporate and alternative business entity litigation, with particular experience in shareholder litigation, and director and officer liability
- Employment litigation, including most notably disputes involving restrictive covenants
- State and municipal administrative litigation matters, including administrative appeals
For more information about Wilmington office, please contact Office Managing Partner Kurt Gwynne at +1 302 778 7550.