Betty is a member of the Life Sciences Health Industry Group, practicing in the area of transactions. Betty concentrates her practice in providing advice to biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies. Her clients call upon her for advice and assistance in handling general corporate matters, operational matters as well as transactional matters. Because of her niche practice, Betty is not only able to respond quickly on issues that relate to the biotech and pharmaceutical industry but also to spot trends and to gauge industry standards over time and locale. This has enabled her to bring added value to her clients from both a legal and business perspective.
Betty has acted as corporate secretary for certain of her clients. She assists clients in new entity formation and corporate restructuring. She is experienced in drafting and negotiating industry specific agreements such as manufacture and supply agreements, quality agreements, distribution agreements, research and development agreements, technology transfer agreements, and clinical trial agreements. Betty also represents clients in complex M&A transactions, involving single product, product line, business divisions, facilities and corporate entities. Betty also assists clients in structuring strategic alliances, joint ventures, collaborations (including, co-promotion and co-commercialization), financing and licensing arrangements.
Prior to joining Reed Smith, Betty was in-house counsel at The Chase Manhattan Bank where she represented the bank’s diversified industry group whose clients included the health care industry in complex finance arrangements.
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a pharmaceutical company with the FTC-mandated divestiture of certain products in order for pharmaceutical company to complete its acquisition of another pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in the divestiture of various pharmaceutical products, including licensing of intellectual properties and an exclusive supply arrangement.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in connection with the divestiture of a prescription subpart H drug, consisting of upfront purchase price, earn-out and equity in the acquiring company.
- Represented a joint venture entity (established between a pharmaceutical company and consumer product company) in the divestiture of a topical product developed by the joint venture entity.
- Represented a UK pharmaceutical company in the divestiture of its US subsidiary, which included a manufacturing facility for controlled substance and licensing of IP assets held by parent and affiliate companies.
- Represented a NJ based research laboratory in the sale of substantially all of its assets to a pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in connection with its proposed acquisition of a bundle of consumer OTC products.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in the divestiture of its branded prescription drug product.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in the acquisition of worldwide rights to a line of oral care products, including associated intellectual property rights.
- Represented the management group of a technology company in the buy-out of the technology company.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in restructuring strategic alliance with its partner in connection with the co-promotion and distribution rights of certain products on a worldwide basis.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in structuring a strategic alliance for the development and commercialization of a delivery system for pain relieving drugs for post-op and acute care patients.
- Represented a biotechnology company in the in-licensing of early stage compounds for development and commercialization.
- Represented an Indian pharmaceutical company in structuring the development and collaboration program for its proprietary compound with a US pharmaceutical company.
- Represented a wholly-owned subsidiary of a Japanese pharmaceutical company to in-license certain patent rights from Public Health Services.
- Represented a medical device company in its strategic alliance for the development, manufacturing, supply and marketing collaboration of a medical device for the prevention and treatment of surgical or other acute and chronic wounds.
Manufacture and Supply
- Represented a pharmaceutical company with respect to a manufacture and supply arrangement with a biopharmaceutical manufacturer involving the scale-up process development work and commercial supply of a biologic product, including technology transfer, quality, and regulatory support agreements.
- Represented a biopharmaceutical manufacturer with respect to process development of a biological product and subsequent manufacture and clinical supply in support of clinical studies to be conducted by a biotech company.
- Represented a medical device company in procurement of components for the manufacture of a medical device.
- Represented the manufacturing division and outsourcing division of a pharmaceutical company in manufacturing and supply arrangements for both chemical and biological products.
- Represented The Chase Manhattan Bank in its participation in various types of credit facilities and financing arrangements.
- Represented a technology start-up company in Series A and Series B financings, including bridge loan financing and warrant issuance.
- Represented a not-for-profit hospital in the financing of its for-profit ambulatory services subsidiary.