Casey is the Practice Group Assistant of Reed Smith’s New York Commercial Litigation Department where he assists with management of the New York Commercial Litigation Department. He is a member of Reed Smith's Commercial Litigation and Financial Services Litigation Departments.
Recently selected by Super Lawyers as a 2014 New York Metro Rising Star, Casey is a seasoned litigator with extensive knowledge in various areas of law. His practice is devoted to a wide range of commercial and financial services litigation. Casey has experience handling litigations in both federal and state courts, as well as in arbitration proceedings and civil and criminal enforcement proceedings commenced by the New York State Attorney General’s Office. Casey has extensive experience arguing complex trial court motions and appeals, taking and defending complex depositions, and has commenced and defended various actions seeking injunctive and declaratory relief. Casey has also tried significant cases and arbitrations through verdict or award. While Casey has experience prosecuting and defending all types of complex litigation, Casey has a particular focus on the following areas of law:
- Hedge Fund and Investment-Related Litigation: Casey has extensive experience representing hedge funds and private equity firms in defense of various types of investment-related litigation. He has also successfully handled lawsuits on behalf of investors in hedge funds and has handled federal securities fraud litigations at both the district court and circuit court levels.
- Sports and Entertainment Law: Casey has extensive experience representing clients in the sports and entertainment industry. In addition to counseling several sports and entertainment clients on day-to-day litigation and transactional issues, Casey has represented an international pop star in a large litigation adverse to her former business managers, a high profile athlete in a complex dispute adverse to a professional sports organization, and two Hollywood producers in contract and real estate-related litigations. Casey has previously represented other international musicians in federal and state court litigation. In doing so, Casey has developed an expertise in aggressively pursuing litigation in a way that still protects the privacy interests of celebrity clients that are often subject to media scrutiny.
- Telecommunications: Casey currently represents one of the largest telecommunications companies in the world and handles various types of telecommunications disputes in New York and New Jersey State and federal court, as well as in arbitration proceedings. Casey has successfully tried cases through verdict in the prepaid calling card and wireless telecom and spectrum industries.
- Class Action Defense: Casey has extensive experience defending class actions. Casey currently represents numerous banks, lending institutions, debt collectors, and energy service providers in defense of class actions and has consistently defeated multi-million dollar class actions, often before the class certification stage. In doing so, Casey has developed a strong familiarity with class action procedures, federal and state certification guidelines, and other procedural rules particular to class actions.
- Debt Collection Litigation: Casey is currently representing numerous debt collections companies in defense of dozens of different lawsuits commenced in state and federal court. These include defense of individual and class claims brought under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and other state statutes. In doing so, Casey has developed a unique familiarity with the debt collections industry, the aforementioned statutes and the defenses applicable to each that have been developed through legislative, regulatory and judicial decisions.
- Banking and Lending Litigation: Casey has handled hundreds of cases defending banks and lending institutions in litigation arising out of, inter alia, credit card lending, mortgage lending, auto-financing, the provision of telephone and internet services, and other banking transactions. In doing so, Casey has gained a strong familiarity with claims brought under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Truth in Lending Act, the Electronic Funds Transfer Act, the Home Ownership and Equity Protection Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, New York’s General Business Law and other state and federal statutes, as well as a strong familiarity with the policies and practices of clients in these industries. Casey also has extensive experience commencing actions on behalf of lenders seeking to enforce debts arising from commercial obligations including the commencement of expedited proceedings to enforce promissory notes, guarantees, and other commercial contracts. In doing so, Casey has briefed and argued numerous motions seeking provisional remedies such as preliminary injunctions, orders of attachment, and orders of seizure of collateral.
- Accounting Malpractice: Casey has extensive experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in accounting malpractice actions. For example, Casey has represented clients in several high-profile malpractice actions concerning the rendering of business management and tax-related services and is generally familiar with many of the rules governing certified public accountants.
- Employment Litigation: Casey has extensive experience representing management in complex employment disputes including litigations and arbitrations concerning the validity of terminations for cause and the enforcement of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
- Real Estate Litigation: Casey has extensive experience handling litigations concerning real estate and cooperatives. He has represented property owners, developers, and cooperative shareholders in various disputes in New York state and federal court, as well as before New York State zoning and regulatory bodies. He has also handled numerous commercial landlord/tenant disputes, on behalf of both landlords and tenants.