Philip is a partner in the firm’s Energy & Natural Resources Group based in Reed Smith’s Singapore Office.
Between 2005 and 2011, Philip worked in Reed Smith’s London office, advising commodity producers, traders and consumers based in Europe, Asia, Australia and North and South America. His practice focuses primarily on the trading and financing of commodities including oil, coal, metals (base and precious), grains and other agricultural commodities. He advises clients about all aspects of their commodity trading and financing activities, including shipping and freight trading. Typical work includes:
- Advising on legal issues involved in new business lines / transactions
- Preparing risk analyses relating to tenders and new contracting structures
- Drafting bespoke contracts and GTCs
- Handling urgent execution issues regarding sale, transportation, storage, finance and insurance contracts
- Dispute resolution, including at a pre-litigation / arbitration stage
Philip has spent significant periods in-house as Counsel to the commodities businesses of two of the world’s largest banks. He prides himself on providing clear and practical advice that enables commercial decision-makers to understand the legal issues.
Most recently, as in-house counsel to Citigroup, Philip counseled Citi on its entry into the commodity and trade finance business.