An experienced engineering lawyer, Richard is skilled at creating legal frameworks for complex international transactions and developments. He also provides ongoing project-specific advice in relation to practical/commercial aspects, during the performance stage of a project (including dispute avoidance, risk minimisation and negotiated settlements).
He has successfully negotiated terms for a series of large-scale wind turbine projects, ranging from single site deals in the UK, Ireland and mainland Europe to framework agreements for global relationships. He has also drafted, advised on, and negotiated terms for solar projects both in the UK and beyond.
In addition, Richard has spent many years advising on more mainstream construction projects, including for office, leisure and industrial buildings, mixed-use schemes, PFI projects (including hospitals and leisure), and transportation (including road, rail and tram).
Chambers' 2008 Guide to the Legal Profession included Richard in its list of Leading Individuals.
Commercial experience includes:
- Advising on procurement and contract strategies, working with clients from inception
- Management of commercial interfaces between multiple third parties/stakeholders
- Dealing with issues that arise during the course of the project, including settlement agreements and dispute resolution
Sector experience includes:
- Power generation
- Process plant
- Procurement / Outsourcing
Contractual experience includes:
- FIDIC, IChemE, IMechE and NEC
- PPP/PFI concession contracts
- Bespoke EPC, DBFO and BOT agreements
- Framework agreements, service partner agreements and consultancy agreements