Todd is a partner and the administrative head of the Firm's environmental attorneys. He is also a member of the Firm's Global Energy and Natural Resources Practice Group. His practice covers a broad array of environmental and energy services, including litigation, regulatory counseling and negotiating corporate and real estate transactions with complex environmental issues. He regularly represents clients before federal and state agencies on a variety of hazardous waste, water, air and environmental impact/land use issues.
Much of Todd's practice focuses on three areas:
- Energy Projects: obtaining permitting and approvals to build, remodel and/or operate various types of electricity generating facilities
- Chemicals: compliance strategies for California's Green Chemistry Initiative and the European Union's Registration, Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals (aka REACH) program and extensive Prop. 65 experience (both litigation and counseling)
- Climate Change: advice on California's Global Warming Solutions Act (aka AB 32), cap and trade options and strategies and related federal legislative and regulatory developments
Todd participates in several trade associations that monitor and comment on proposed federal and state environmental legislation and regulatory developments. Todd has co-authored and contributed to several books focused on international environmental issues, and is a frequent speaker on a variety of environmental subjects. He is counsel to the Board of Directors for the Pacific Basin Consortium for Environmental and Health Studies at the East-West Center.
Representative Environmental Matters
- For the past 21 years, represent numerous clients in the San Gabriel Valley Superfund site (re: site investigations and remediation, as well as defend in related state court toxic tort actions and CERCLA cost recovery actions brought by federal, state and private plaintiffs.
- Since 1987, have represented numerous clients in all aspects of California's "Proposition 65" compliance. This includes supply chain management, notification issues, drafting and providing testimony to state agencies on listing chemicals, and extensive litigation (including extensive fact and expert discovery).
- Extensive experience involving the assessment and estimation of environmental and natural resource damage claims at approximately forty mining or smelting sites throughout the U.S. (for purposes of resolving bankruptcy reorganization).
- Currently representing client in qui tam action involving alleged claims of environmental violations.
- Currently defending client in numerous air districts throughout California regarding alleged violations of regulations restricting VOC and NOx emissions.
- Represented current owner of a former mining site in CERCLA natural resources damage action and related total maximum daily load/stormwater discharge issues.
- Advise client regarding potential white collar criminal liability stemming from alleged air emissions at facility.
Representative Energy & Natural Resource Matters
- Advising client on permitting and environmental / land-use issues related to construction of 200 MW photo-voltaic power project.
- Oversee environmental due diligence on client's investment in 18 wind farms throughout U.S.
- Advise client regarding environmental and land use issues related to construction of 100 MW natural gas fired power plants.
- Advise client regarding environmental and permit transfer issues regarding sale of a biomass power plant.
- Represent clients regarding CEQA and land use approvals regarding construction of seven mile water pipeline across private and BLM land for reinjection into a geothermal formation for extending life of a related power project.
- Conducted environmental due diligence regarding a transaction involving sale of three offshore oil rigs, associated underwater pipelines and related on-shore infrastructure.
- Represent client seeking air permits for various land fill gas to energy projects.