Producers, importers and suppliers of business and consumer products have to navigate an ever-increasing range of laws and regulations governing product design and safety, use of materials and chemicals, classification labelling and packaging (CLP), marketing and end-of-life.
Effective and timely management of these compliance obligations can ultimately turn a regulatory burden into a competitive advantage.
We assist clients throughout their involvement in the life cycle of products to implement product stewardship measures, work effectively within their supply chain to achieve compliance and sustainability, manage regulator interactions and resolve enforcement issues.
We have extensive experience in all aspects of product compliance and producer responsibility, from bringing a new product to market, importation, distribution and supply, through to managing product recalls, take-back of waste products, recycling and re-use.
Our services in this area include:
- EU REACH, CLP, biocides and other chemical regulation
- Packaging, labelling and CE marking
- EU WEEE, RoHS and other 'producer responsibility' and take-back obligations
- U.S. regulation of chemicals in consumer products and other consumer product issues arising under the Toxic Substances Control Act (“TSCA”)
- Eco-design and green chemistry initiatives, including those under the EU Eco-Design Directive, U.S. federal Pollution Prevention Act and state laws, including California’s Green Chemistry Initiative
- Environmental marketing and ‘green claims’
- Aspects of transition to the ‘circular economy’
- U.S. EPA and state regulation of pesticides in consumer products under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (“FIFRA”)
- Waste management including U.S. EPA, State, and International Regulation of Hazardous Waste and disposal of recalled consumer products in compliance with hazardous waste requirements, including the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (“RCRA”) and analogous state laws
- Transboundary movement of waste
- California Proposition 65 as it relates to consumer products and other materials
- Conflict minerals
- Product safety
- Defence of regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings