Reed Smith’s Information Technology, Privacy & Data Security team has more than a decade of experience of advising clients not only on pro-active steps to strengthen their data and cybersecurity, but also of supporting and helping clients when a cybersecurity incident or data breach has occurred. Our experience covers the full spectrum of issues, including advising on compliance and risk management on cutting-edge issues; performing due diligence and risk assessments in transactional matters; assisting in product development and monetization of new and disruptive technologies; guiding companies through all aspects of incidents of cybersecurity, data theft, and unauthorized access; and defending bet-the-company litigation.
We have worked with clients across the United States, Europe, the Middle East, and Asia, providing them with truly global privacy and security support in a wide range of industry sectors, including financial services, life sciences and health care, energy, education, retail, manufacturing, advertising, and media and technology.
Key Areas of Experience
- Implementing and evaluating enterprise-wide data protection and cybersecurity policies and procedures, including training and systems testing
- Drafting effective privacy disclosures
- Supporting enterprise-wide cybersecurity and data breach function
- Advising on the appropriate management and analysis of data
- Enhancing privacy and security-related language in vendor and partner agreements
- Constructing the legal foundation for the international transfer of personal data
- Working with regulatory and law enforcement agencies on privacy and security matters
- Defending privacy and security-related actions, including class action litigation and regulatory enforcement actions
- Negotiating cyberliability coverage and dealing with insurance coverage claims
Publicly Recognized Work
Our Information Technology, Privacy & Data Security team’s work is publicly recognized:
- Selected as “2015 Firm of the Year” for “Data Protection and Privacy” by Legal 500 U.S.
- Ranked for “Data protection and privacy” by Legal 500 U.S.
- Ranked for “Data Protection” and “IT and Telecoms” by Legal 500 UK
- Ranked for “Data Protection and Information Technology” by Chambers UK
- Selected as part of its inaugural “Privacy & Consumer Protection: Practice Group of the Year” by Law360
- Members of the team recognized as leading individuals by Legal 500, Law360 and Chambers
Through collaboration with the firm’s global IP, Information & Innovation Group, the Information Technology, Privacy & Data Security team brings strength and increased connectivity in today’s technology-driven economy as a cross-discipline practice focusing on information technology, including the uses of data through technology innovation and development; complex IT and business process outsourcing transactions; and intellectual property licensing and transactions. Our lawyers provide global practical, legal and commercial advice relating to new and disruptive technologies and services, including advising on strategic transactions, crucial regulatory matters and cross-border litigation.