Shales contain what may prove to be the largest untapped natural gas reserves in the United States and around the world. For example, their proximity to the high-demand markets along the East Coast of the United States have made the Marcellus and Utica Shales attractive targets for energy development.
Local talent, global reach
By virtue of their extensive experience, legal skills and longstanding relationships within the natural gas industry, Reed Smith attorneys are particularly well-positioned to provide legal assistance to companies whose interests lie in unconventional gas development.
Our lawyers understand the business and are attuned to the capital costs, infrastructure and manpower issues relating to the development of shales and other potentially productive formations.
Knowledge of the industry, coupled with global oil & gas capabilities, have made the experience of our lawyers sought after in the full range of Shale-related legal needs. That experience includes:
- Successfully representing exploration and production companies in various lease and access disputes, including royalty claims, claims of forfeiture or voiding of leases, implied covenants, and abandonment
- Successfully representing transportation and storage companies in condemnation actions, encroachment cases and other property rights claims
- Handling numerous transactions involving oil and gas rights and properties, including formation of the appropriate business entities for energy ventures, such as joint ventures, partnerships, limited liability companies, and other joint-ownership or joint-participation arrangements
- Drafting and reviewing agreements for exploration and production, service and transportation companies, including concession, drilling, development, production-sharing, and joint-venture and operating agreements, as well as agreements for the purchase, sale or exchange of crude oil, natural gas and petroleum products
- Advising clients on compliance with municipal, federal and state regulation of wells, pipelines and gas storage reservoirs
Shale project development - start-to-finish service
Reed Smith's Shale team is experienced in assisting clients throughout all stages of project development and expansion, leasing, contract review, land acquisition, and disputes.
Our professionals can advise on matters such as litigation, state or federal regulatory compliance, transactions, real estate, environmental protection, labor and employment, corporate finance, construction, equipment sales or procurement, insurance/risk management, federal, state or local taxation, antitrust, and advertising and media relations.