The Deborah J. Broyles Diverse Scholars Program
The Deborah J. Broyles Diverse Scholars Program provides an award in the amount of $20,000 and a summer associate position to two law students who have demonstrated academic excellence and a commitment to diversity and inclusion. The award is to be used to defray necessary expenditures related to the recipient’s legal education and will be paid in addition to the summer associate salary. Summer associate positions in 2017 are available in the following Reed Smith offices: Chicago, Houston, Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Washington, D.C.
About Deborah Broyles
Deborah Broyles, a San Francisco partner in our Labor & Employment Group and the firm’s Director of Global Diversity & Inclusion, passed away on September 10, 2016. Nationally known for both her legal work and community activism, Deborah was a trailblazer in diversity efforts in the legal profession. Serving as Reed Smith’s firm-wide Director of Global Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) since February 2015, Deborah’s contributions to promoting diversity in the legal industry and throughout the United States were significant and transformative. She was a longtime member of the National Bar Association and the Charles Houston Bar Association, and served several leadership roles for the California Minority Counsel Program (CMCP), the California Association of Black Lawyers (CABL), and the Black Women Lawyers of Northern California (BWLNC). A leading employment lawyer, Deborah was a member of the National Employment Law Council and served on the Board of Directors of the Positive Resource Center, the only organization for people living with or at risk for HIV/AIDS that provides comprehensive benefits counseling and employment services in San Francisco.
- Applicants will be considered under the same high academic standard applied to all summer associate candidates.
- Applicants must demonstrate a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Applicants must accept Reed Smith’s offer to join the 2017 Summer Program following the completion of their second year of law school.
- Applicants must be matriculated at an ABA-accredited law school.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the United States.
Required Submission Materials
- Completed Application
- Personal Statement (750 words or less)
- Law School Transcript (official or unofficial)
- Legal Writing Sample
- Undergraduate Transcript (official)
If you have any questions regarding the Deborah J. Broyles Diverse Scholars Program, please contact:
, U.S. Legal Recruiting Coordinator.
To learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion, please visit diversity.reedsmith.com.