Barbara is a trial lawyer in Reed Smith's Life Sciences Health Industry Group, with extensive experience in “bet the company” trials. She is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, ranked by Chambers USA (very strategic, smart and collaborative”), The Legal 500 (“very good at strategic thinking”) (“well regarded and respected” and “exceptionally good”), and The American Lawyer (recognized for “command of her subject and tough but respectful approach which convinces both judges and juries”). In 2017, Barbara was elected as a Fellow to the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL), an honor that is extended to only the top 1 percent of lawyers in the United States and Canada.
Barbara’s practice focuses on complex pharmaceutical products liability, mass torts, multi-district litigation, and class action defense. Barbara has been a successful first chair at numerous trials representing many of the top 10 pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, insurers and hospitals.
- Georgetown University Law Center, 1991, J.D.
- St. Bonaventure University, 1980, B.B.A., magna cum laude
- Fellow to the American College of Trial Lawyers - Admitted 2017
- Member of PLAC (Product Liability Advisory Council)
- Pennsylvania Civil Jury Instructions Committee since 2007 (Appointed by Pa. Supreme Court)
- Advisory Board Member, PILCOP – Public Interest Law Center of Philadelphia
- Court appointed Judge Pro Tem in Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas
- Defense Research Institute, Products Liability and Women in the Law Committees
- American Bar Association Products Liability Committee
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- On the boards of several local Philadelphia music organizations
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants, 2019-2020
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Ranked in Chambers USA
- Ranked in The Legal 500
- Named one of the Top 15 Female Trial Attorneys by Law 360
- Named one of Philadelphia Business Journal’s Women of Distinction in 2012
- Consistently named in Lawdragon’s “500 Leading Lawyers in America,” Benchmark’s “Litigation Star” list, “Pennsylvania Super Lawyers” and “Life Science Star” by LMG Life Sciences