Paul is an experienced former Deputy Attorney General, trial lawyer and strategic advisor who concentrates his practice defending clients in high-stakes, multistate investigations and regulatory enforcement matters brought by state attorneys general (AGs). His broad practice encompasses issues that involve technology, pharmaceuticals, consumer protection, health care, privacy, environmental, financial services, and white collar cases and investigations involving state AGs, the U.S. Department of Justice, banking regulators and other federal agencies.
Immediately prior to joining Reed Smith, Paul served as Deputy Attorney General and Senior Counsel to Wisconsin Attorney General Brad D. Schimel. In that position, he directed legal strategy in all of the state’s significant multistate consumer protection cases and also advised state agencies and the Office of Governor. As Attorney General Schimel’s primary legal advisor, Paul was responsible for developing and executing policy initiatives and handling complex and high-profile matters impacting nearly every sector of the economy. As a result, he has a deep understanding of the state AG landscape, enacting the best strategies for preemptive engagement with state AG’s offices and helping lead corporate responses to complex national multistate investigations and enforcement actions.
- Marquette University Law School, 1998, J.D., magna cum laude, Executive Editor, Marquette Law Review
- University of Wisconsin - Parkside, 1994, B.A., cum laude
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Seventh Circuit
- Honorable J.P. Stadtmueller, U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Wisconsin