Miles has more than 40 years of experience representing clients in the financial services, construction and real estate industries. He has extensive experience at both the trial and appellate levels in complex litigation in the federal and state courts of Virginia and surrounding jurisdictions, in proceedings before administrative agencies, and in mediation and arbitration proceedings. He has represented a number of financial institutions and their affiliates in disputes involving commercial and consumer lending, workouts, competing interests in loan collateral, lender liability claims, mortgage-backed securities, and insurance coverage. He has also represented clients in disputes arising out of the development, financing and construction of large public and private projects, landfills, power plants and other industrial facilities. In addition, he has extensive experience in general commercial litigation and has tried a number of jury cases to verdict, including what is believed to be the longest civil jury trial ever held in Virginia. He is also active in the representation of pro bono clients of his firm.
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D.
- Tulane University School of Graduate Studies
- Randolph-Macon College, B.A., with honors
- State Supreme Court - Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court - Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court - Western District of Virginia
- Virginia Bar Association
- Vice Chair, Civil Litigation Section Council (present)
- Board of Governors (2013 – 2015)
- Chair, Membership Committee (2015)
- Civil Litigation Section Council (2000 – present)
- Judiciary Committee (2012 – present)
- Board of Governors Liaison, Construction and Public Contracts Law Section Council (2013 – 2015)
- Virginia State Bar
- Litigation Section
- Richmond Bar Association
- Selected as a member of the “Virginia Lawyers Hall of Fame” for 2020.
- Selected by his peers and the publishers of Virginia Business Magazine as one of Virginia's Legal Elite attorneys for 2008 - 2018.
- Selected to the Virginia Super Lawyers list for Business Litigation, 2006-2020
- Ranked in Chambers USA for Virginia Litigation: General Commercial, 2020
- One of 30 Virginia attorneys and judges selected by the publishers of Virginia Lawyers Weekly for its 2013 class of “Leaders in the Law.” This awards program recognizes lawyers across the State who are setting the standard for other lawyers in Virginia. “Leaders” are recognized for changing the law, serving the community, changing practice or improving Virginia’s justice system, among other accomplishments.
Civic Activities and Memberships
- University of Virginia School of Medicine Cancer Center – Vice Chair of Advisory Board
- University of Virginia Club of Charlottesville – Board of Directors; Secretary/Treasurer
- University of Virginia Alumni Association (Life Member)
- University of Virginia Rotunda Society
- University of Virginia Athletics Foundation
- University of Mary Washington – Parents Council (2006-2010)
- Windsor on the James Homeowners Association, Inc. – Board of Directors (1997- 2000); President (1999)
- Willow Oaks Country Club (1981-present) – Board of Directors (2007-2012); President (2010); First Vice President (2009); Second Vice President (2008)
- Farmington Country Club (1985–present)
Miles is a Vietnam veteran (U. S. Army), and was awarded the Bronze Star and the Army Commendation Medal.