Tom is a member of the Life Sciences Health Industry Group, practicing in the area of health care regulatory law and has specialized in health care for more than 30 years. His experience includes litigation and counseling clients on business relationships, corporate restructuring, bankruptcy reorganizations and government investigations. He also served as an elected at-large member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
- Named to the inaugural class of Pro Bono Champions by the American Health Lawyers Association
- Named as one of America's leading lawyers in Health Care Law in every edition since inception of The Best Lawyers in America. The Best Lawyers lists, representing 80 specialties in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., are compiled through an exhaustive peer-review survey in which thousands of the top lawyers in the United States confidentially evaluate their professional peers
- Recognized by the Ethisphere Institute as one of the 2009 Attorneys Who Matter in the field of corporate compliance
- Recognized in Chambers USA as one of America's leading Health Care lawyers (2007-2014, 2016)
- Recognized as a Washington, D.C. Super Lawyer for his Health Care practice from 2007-2016. Super Lawyers identifies the top 5 percent of attorneys in each state, as chosen by their peers and through the independent research of Law & Politics
- Recognized for his health care law expertise by the Corporate Counsel's "Best Lawyers: Healthcare"; and the National Law Journal’s "Who’s Who in Health Care Law"
- Recognized by Washingtonian magazine as a Top Lawyer in the area of Health Care Law (2013-2014)
- United States Army, Captain, Medical Services Corps (Airborne), three years’ active service, honorable discharge: January 1969 – December 1969: United States Army – Pacific, Republic of Vietnam; duty with the 1st Infantry Division; April 1967 – November 1968: United States Army – Europe. Various awards and decorations.
- District of Columbia
- State Supreme Court - Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals - District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. District Court - District of Columbia
- American Health Lawyers Association (AHLA)
- President & Chairman AHLA Health Law Fellow AHLA's Annual Program on "Long-Term Care and the Law"
- Chairman and Program Moderator AHLA Educational Fund Committee AHLA’s Outstanding Service Award Recipient
- Muskingum College – Trustee