Richard focuses his practice on recovering insurance benefits from reluctant insurance companies on behalf of his institutional and individual clients. Richard draws on over 30 years of experience as an insurance recovery lawyer to craft litigation strategies for complex insurance and commercial disputes and he is a strong advocate for policyholders in cases involving nearly every conceivable type of insurance coverage. Richard has represented policyholders all over the country and, in that capacity, he has successfully secured hundreds of millions of dollars in defense costs, settlements, and indemnity payments on behalf of his clients.
In addition to representing corporate clients, Richard also represents athletes, sports teams, and entertainers in connection with permanent total disability (PTD), temporary total disability (TTD), loss-of-value (LOV) insurance claims, and securing workers’ compensation benefits. He is one of the only lawyers in the country with a significant breadth of experience representing numerous professional athletes to help them maximize payouts under PTD, TTD and LOV coverages. He is a thought leader in this unique area of insurance. He has authored numerous nationally published articles on athlete insurance and he is often sought out to be interviewed and to lecture on these topics. Richard has helped policyholders obtain coverage for business interruption losses, crime losses, cyber losses, and political risks. He also has significant experience in analyzing event cancellation insurance, cast & crew insurance, and a number of other entertainment-related insurance products.
- Southwestern Law School, 1984, J.D.
- College of the Holy Cross, 1981, B.A.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Central District of California
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - District of Massachusetts
- Member of the Editorial Board, Professional Sports and the Law publication
- Finalist, 2017 Los Angeles Entertainment and Sports Law Attorney of the Year Award, Los Angeles Business Journal
- Selected for inclusion in Southern California Super Lawyers, 2010, 2011, 2014 and 2015
- 1 February 2019 The Culture of Sports with Jonathan Yates, with guest speaker Richard Giller CollegeAD
- 27 December 2018 The Morning Kickoff Show Sirius XM NFL Radio with Ross Tucker and Ed McCaffrey with guest Richard Giller
- 27 August 2018 Sport360 with Jeff Fannell Podcast: Episode 17 with guest speaker Richard Giller
- 5 February 2018 "Understanding Loss-of-Value Insurance: An Interview with Richard Giller (Part 2)" CollegeAD
- 29 January 2018 "Understanding Loss-of-Value Insurance: An Interview with Richard Giller (Part 1)" CollegeAD
- 13 November 2017 "How Student Athlete Insurance Protects Financial Futures" OppLoans
- 6 February 2017 "Entertainment Law Roundtable, What Media, Sports and Gaming Professionals Need to Know" The Los Angeles Business Journal
- 27 February 2016 "Mike Tanier’s Combine Notebook: Brandon Doughty Climbs the Board" Insurance and Reassurance
- 22 February 2016 "Teeming with Sports” The Los Angeles Business Journal