Judy joined the firm in 1974, and has practiced at Reed Smith ever since, with the exception of two periods of government service, first at the U.S. Department of Justice, in the Antitrust Division, and later, as a political appointee at the Federal Communications Commission, where she headed the Legislative Office and was the senior liaison with Congress and the Administration on the Telecom Act of 1996 and first spectrum auctions. Judy is a former Managing Partner of Reed Smith’s D.C. office. She concentrates on telecommunications, Internet issues, and trade regulation and consumer protection matters (including with respect to the Telephone Sales Rule and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act) before the FCC, the Federal Trade Commission, the Commerce and Justice Departments, in the courts and on Capitol Hill. Judy devotes a substantial portion of her time to ICANN related matters, including with respect to ICANN’s new generic top-level domain (gTLD) program, and to Internet governance policy.
- Named as one of America's leading lawyers in the area of Communications Law in The Best Lawyers in America 2014-2016 editions.
- Washington DC Super Lawyers - Communications (2013 - 2016).
- Honored by The Minority Media and Telecommunications Council in 2013 for "extraordinary leadership in shaping the communications industries, and for paving the way for future women leaders to aspire to greatness."
- Named as Top Rated Lawyer in Washington D.C and Baltimore in the area of commercial litigation in The Legal Leaders supplement to the Washington Post 2012 edition.
- Honored by the Federal Communications Bar Association in 2009 for significant contributions.
- Chosen as a Star of the Bar Honoree by the Women’s Bar Association in 2004.
- 22 February 2016 "Wheeler Circulates TCPA Exemption NPRM For Collecting Student Loans, Fed-Backed Mortgages" Bloomberg BNA
- 13 January 2016 "TCPA Citations A Sign Of FCC Overreach, Commish Says" Law360
- 24 January 2014 "DC Circ. Ruling Complicates Fight Over TCPA Liability" Law360
- 11 October 2013 "TCPA Changes Spell More Class Action Headaches" Law360
- Yale University Law School, 1973, J.D.
- University of Michigan, 1970, B.A., with highest distinction, Phi Beta Kappa
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals
- District Court for the District of Columbia
- American Bar Association
- D.C. Bar Association
- Women’s Bar Association
- Federal Communications Bar
- Sanaria, Inc. (malaria vaccine development, for-profit entity)
- Yale Law School Alumni Executive Committee (term ended 2015)
- National Health Research Center
- Honorable James A. Belson, District of Columbia Superior Court (now Senior Judge, DC Court of Appeals)