Following her graduation from the Yale Law School in 1973, Martha joined Reed Smith, one of only three women attorneys in the firm in the early 1970's. After a two year stay at Reed Smith, she joined the full time faculty of the University of Pittsburgh School of Law in 1976, where she was the first (and only) woman on the full time faculty at the Pitt Law School at that time. After serving two and one half years as an Assistant Professor of Law at the University of Pittsburgh, Martha returned to Reed Smith in 1978 as a member of the Labor and Employment Law Group. Martha became a partner of Reed Smith in 1983, the first woman elected to partnership in Reed Smith's Pittsburgh office.
- Yale Law School, 1973, J.D., Member, The Yale Law Journal
- University of Pittsburgh, 1970, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- American College of Trial Lawyers – Fellow
- Academy of Trial Lawyers of Allegheny County
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- AAA East Central – Director and former Chair of Governing Board
- Auto Club of Southern California – Member, Board of Directors
- University of Pittsburgh – Member, Board of Trustees
- Children's Hospital Foundation – Member, Board of Directors
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh – Member, Board of Directors
Awards & Recognition
- Recipient of the United Educators "Distinguished Counsel Award"
- Fellow of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers
- Selected by the Pittsburgh Business Times as a winner of the 2010 Women in Business Awards
- Named the Best Lawyers' Pittsburgh “Lawyer of the Year” for Litigation–Labor & Employment (2013 & 2015), Education Law (2014 & 2016), as well as Labor and Employment (2011). Only a single lawyer in each practice area in each community is honored as the “Lawyer of the Year." Also, listed in The Best Lawyers in America since the 1993-94 edition, currently in the categories of Education Law, Employment Law–Management, Labor Law–Management, and Litigation–Labor & Employment.
- Included in The US Legal 500 (2009) and described as: "an outstanding lawyer" and is "highly respected and regarded by clients, the bar and judges alike."
- Listed in Chambers USA as a leading labor and employment lawyer (Pennsylvania, 2003-2017)
- Named among Pennsylvania's "Top 50 Women Lawyers" by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers 2011; also selected for inclusion in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers since 2004 and listed in Super Lawyers Business Edition in the area of Employment & Labor
- In 1999, received Reed Smith’s "Shaw’s Lion Award" as the outstanding lawyer of the year at Reed Smith