LaRana’s practice focuses on education law, including the counseling and representation of school boards in special education matters, student disciplinary proceedings, student privacy and records issues and constitutional law matters. LaRana also represented school boards in numerous special education due process proceedings. LaRana represents school boards in state and federal government investigations and enforcement proceedings including investigations by the U. S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights (OCR) with respect to allegations of discrimination related to disability, race and gender and investigations by the Virginia Department of Education with respect to compliance with special education regulations. She has also represented a local school board in numerous truancy proceedings. LaRana presents at conferences on legal issues that impact local school boards.
- William & Mary School of Law, J.D.
- Old Dominion University, B.S., Political Science, Magna cum laude
- Virginia Bar Association
- Virginia Beach Bar Association
- National School Boards Association
- Virginia School Boards Association/Council of School Attorneys