Jim focuses his practice on renewables/carbon markets and commodity marketing and trading activities in wholesale and retail energy markets. He has experience structuring and negotiating standardized and bespoke environmental products transactions under various cap-and-trade programs, including primary and secondary market deals involving spot, forward, and option transactions for carbon products. His experience includes advising on structured commodity arrangements and credit structures used to mitigate risks inherent in trading contracts and the use of financial derivatives to mitigate credit and commercial risks. His experience in the energy space includes negotiating various structured wholesale and retail power and gas transactions, and liquids-related transactions including transportation agreements, exchange agreements, and storage agreements. He frequently analyzes and reviews, and teaches classes on and presents with respect to standardized master agreements commonly used in the energy industry, including the ISDA, EEI, and NAESB and their various annexes.
- University of Houston Law Center, J.D., Executive Editor, Houston Journal of International Law
- University of Kansas, B.S., Business Finance, with distinction
- Board Member, Houston Journal of International Law Advisory Board
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Houston Bar Association
- Member, The College of the State Bar of Texas
- Member, International Energy Credit Association