Shail’s practice focuses on the resolution of state tax controversies, with a strong focus on California tax matters. Shail’s experience includes representing clients through all stages of the administrative state tax controversy process and has successfully argued cases in front of various state tax authorities. He also has significant experience advising clients on state and local tax planning opportunities, with a focus on corporate state income tax issues facing multistate businesses. Shail also advises on buy-side and sell-side state and local tax due diligence, as well as post-merger and acquisition integration consulting.
- University of San Diego School of Law, 2005, LL.M., Tax
- University of San Diego School of Law, 2005, J.D.
- University of California, Los Angeles, 2001, B.A., Communication Studies and Political Science
- State Bar of California
- Bay Area Young Tax Lawyers
- Advisory Board Member, Urban Sprouts, San Francisco, CA
- 29 August 2019 “Extending FCA To Tax In Calif. May Open Litigation Floodgate” Law 360
- 12 December 2018 “One By One, States Responded to South Dakota v. Wayfair in 2018” Thomson Reuters Checkpoint