Described by his clients as “an excellent strategist” and “always thinking of creative ways to achieve clients’ objectives”, Mike Tomasulo has been a practicing patent litigator since 1994, and has played a significant role in more than 70 patent litigations. His cases have ranged from representing patent owners in large, complex patent litigation to defending clients in multi-defendant patent litigation.
Mike’s practice focuses on high-stakes intellectual property litigation and counseling for a wide array of technology and entertainment clients. Mike has appeared in more than 70 patent cases throughout the country, including the Federal Circuit, all California district courts, the Western District of Texas, the Northern District of Illinois, and the District of Delaware. Mike has trial experience before the Patent Trial and Appeals Board and the U.S. International Trade Commission.
- University of Southern California, 1994, J.D.
- University of California, Berkeley, 1990, B.S.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court - Central District of California
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court - Southern District of California
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court - New Mexico
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Virginia
- Executive Planning Committee, University of California Intellectual Property Institute
- Member, Los Angeles Association of Business Trial Lawyers
Awards & Recognition
- International Asset Management IAM Patent 1000 (2014-2022)
- Managing Intellectual Property “IP Stars” (2012 and 2014-2020, 2022)
- Super Lawyers, Southern California Super Lawyer (2009-2016)
- Super Lawyers, Southern California “Rising Star,” (2004-2006)
- "Performed well in...technically dense PTAB matters." (IAM, 2019)
- “Is never fazed, no matter what comes up.” (IAM Patent 1000, 2018)
- “An excellent strategist who is always thinking of creative ways to achieve clients’ objectives” (IAM Patent 1000, 2017)
- “He’s great at organizing a team around him so he can focus on the most important decisions” (IAM Patent 1000, 2015)
- “Really understands what client service is all about [and] saves his clients considerable money” (IAM Patent 1000, 2015)
- “Great at dealing with opposing parties and sets a civilized tone” (IAM Patent 1000, 2014)
- “Fully appreciates what our engineers do and provides legal solutions that enable us to compete effectively in our marketplace” (IAM Patent 1000, 2014)