Paul is a partner in the firm’s Energy & Natural Resources Group, where he focuses his practice on the fast-changing and evolving energy and commodity markets—principally related to the business of the physical and financial trading of energy commodities. He has been involved in the regulatory and commercial structuring and restructuring of the energy industry, including the ongoing regulatory changes to the physical, futures and derivatives markets. Paul advises a variety of client types in the industry – major oil companies, hedge funds, independent trading and marketing companies, retail energy providers, and banking clients – on structuring and documenting bespoke commodity transactions, developing client-preferred forms of industry contracts (e.g. EEI, ISDA, NAESB, LEAP), developing forms of customer contracts for REPs, negotiating commodity tolling agreements (e.g. power, crude, and NGLs), negotiating commodity storage and marketing arrangements, advising on M&A transactions involving trading assets and portfolios, and setting up client compliance programs. He has been principal counsel to several clients as they entered the US trading markets for energy commodities. Paul’s focus principally is on power, natural gas, crude, petroleum products, and NGLs.
- Named to 2016-2017 and 2014-2015 Who's Who in Energy Guide by the Houston Business Journal
- Named Best Lawyers’ 2012 and 2016 Derivatives and Futures Law: Lawyer of the Year in Houston
- Selected to the BTI Client Service All-Star list (2016)
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of derivatives law and futures law (2007-2016)
- Named among the “Top Lawyers in Houston” by H Magazine (2010-2016)
- Recognized by The Legal 500 – U.S. for Energy: Regulatory (2015)