Danielle is a member of the firm’s State Tax Group. She focuses her practice on Texas tax matters, specializing in Texas sales and use tax and Texas franchise tax. Danielle represents taxpayers in a variety of industries—including construction, oil and gas, and tech—and assists them with all phases of Texas tax issues. While Danielle loves to help clients minimize audit exposure through front-end planning, she also maintains a robust tax controversy practice in which she represents Texas taxpayers during audit and in challenging tax assessments and pursuing tax refunds before the State Office of Administrative Hearings, in state district court, and on appeal. Danielle frequently writes and speaks on Texas tax topics, and she uses this knowledge to successfully litigate and settle client matters.
- Baylor University School of Law, 2009, J.D.
- University of Texas at Austin, 2006, B.A., Government and History, with honors
- Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court, Barrister Member
- Travis County Women Lawyers’ Scholarship Committee, Board Member
- Travis County Women Lawyers’ Foundation, Fellow
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Austin Bar Association, Member
Récompenses et distinctions
- 2023 The Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law
- Texas Super Lawyers for Tax: Business, 2020-2022
- Austin Monthly Top Lawyer in Tax, 2019-2022
- Franchise tax: Hegar v. Gulf Copper and Manufacturing Corporation, 601 S.W.3d 668 (Tex. 2020).
- Sales tax: Pointsmith Point-of-Purchase Management Services, LP v. Hegar, No. D-1-GN-11-001514 (200th Dist. Ct., Travis County, Tex. Jan. 10, 2019).
- Franchise tax: Hegar v. CGG Veritas Servs. (U.S.), Inc., 581 S.W.3d 228 (Tex. App.—Austin 2016, no pet.).
- Franchise tax: Titan Transp., LP v. Combs, 433 S.W.3d 625 (Tex. App.—Austin 2014, pet. denied).
- Franchise tax: Combs v. Newpark Res., Inc., 422 S.W.3d 46 (Tex. App.—Austin 2013, no pet.).
- Sales tax: Garriott v. Combs, No. D-1-GN-12-003034 (201st Dist. Ct., Travis County, Tex. Oct. 1, 2013).
- 1 July 2022 “Top 5 State & Local Tax Cases Of 2022: Midyear Report” Law 360
- 13 April 2022 “Texas Franchise Tax Ruling for Sirius XM Leaves Rules in Limbo” Bloomberg Tax
- 5 April 2022 “Sirius’s Sourcing Approved by Texas Supreme Court” Accounting Today
- 28 March 2022 “Texas Supreme Court Rules for Sirius in Sourcing Dispute” Tax Notes
- 3 January 2022 “State And Local Tax Cases To Watch In 2022” Law360
- 1 December 2021 “Texas High Court Ponders Sourcing of Sirius Subscription Receipts” Tax Notes
- 3 September 2021 “Texas Justices Will Hear Sirius XM $2.5M Tax Refund Case” Law360
- 5 February 2021 ”Texas Gov. Proposes Banning Transaction Taxes” Law360