Michael is the Managing Partner of Reed Smith LLP’s Beijing Office. He has broad experience in mergers and acquisitions, corporate, corporate finance and financing work in Hong Kong and in Mainland China. His equity capital markets experience extends to acting for both investment banks and issuers in relation to H-share, red-chip and A+H share transactions. He was lead partner as Hong Kong counsel on the world's first simultaneous A+H share offering, the IPO of ICBC, the largest IPO in the world at the time of issue. In M&A, he has extensive experience in acting for purchasers and investee companies in regional and PRC M&A transactions, including private equity and strategic investments. Whilst his practice spans a multitude of industry sectors, including consumer products, agribusiness as well as media and entertainment, Michael has particularly rich experience in energy and natural resources as well as alternative and clean energy projects. He has recently advised offtakers under ERPAs with PRC CDM project owners in both contractual positions and contentious matters involving ERPA price negotiations.
- University of Leeds, 1985, Bachelor of Arts, Chinese and Portuguese Studies (Hons)
- University of Leeds, 1988, Bachelor of Laws, (Hons)
- Nottingham Trent University, 1989, Law Degree
- Hong Kong
- Angleterre et Pays de Galles
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in the inaugural edition of The Best Lawyers™ in China for Capital Markets Law (International Firms), 2020
- Ranked as Expert in Capital Markets by "Expert Guides 2018"