Ruth is a partner in the Tax Group. Her practice focuses on the tax aspects of corporate and real estate transactions, including business formations, mergers and acquisitions, tax-free reorganizations and spin-offs, business dispositions, debt and equity financings and restructurings, lending transactions, real estate acquisitions, dispositions and tax-deferred exchanges, and real estate restructurings and loan workouts. She also is experienced in tax planning for start-up and emerging growth companies, as well as passthrough entities such as limited liability companies, partnerships and S corporations. In addition to federal income tax matters, Ruth also advises on state and local taxes. She has advised clients in a wide range of industries including life sciences, renewable energy, biofuels, media and technology, entertainment, telecommunications, manufacturing, food, healthcare, financial services, venture capital and private equity funds and real estate development. She also counsels numerous tax-exempt organizations on a multitude of tax and nonprofit corporate law issues.
- University of California, Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law, 1977, J.D., Order of the Coif; Phi Beta Kappa; Note and Comment Editor of the California Law Review
- University of California, Berkeley, 1974, A.B.
- Beverly Hills Bar Association (Business Law and Tax sections)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Business Law and Tax sections)
- Reed Smith's Southern California Pro Bono Honor Roll (2014)
- Received the Los Angeles Urban League's 2008 Community Service Award for leading a Reed Smith pro bono team that helped put in place a new education partnership (Greater Crenshaw Education Partnership) to run Crenshaw High School in south Los Angeles under an MOU that Ruth's team successfully negotiated with the LA Unified School District
- 17 July 2014 "Corporate Lawyers Pooh-Pooh Move by Treasury Secretary" Los Angles Daily Journal
- 15 April 2014 "Foreign Invesments Serve Up Worries" Los Angeles Daily Journal
- 24 May 2010 "Biotech Tax Credit Guidelines Clarify that All Qualifiers Will Receive An Award" The Pink Sheet
- 24 May 2010 "Feds Outline Rules for Snagging Part of $1B Tax Credit Program" BioWorld
- 17 May 2010 "Industry Eagerly Awaits Details of New Therapeutic Discovery Tax Credit" The Pink Sheet
- 19 April 2010 "Prepare Now: Biotech Credit for Research May Go Quickly" BioWorld
- 10 July 2009 "Obama Officials Detail Grants for Large Clean Tech Projects" Los Angeles Daily Journal