Peter focuses his practice on regulatory, compliance and transactional matters relating to commodities, derivatives, and securities products regulated by the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
Peter is part of the firm’s global environmental, social and governance (ESG) practice. He has a particular focus on the social and governance aspects of ESG as well as climate change mitigation. Recently he has advised a large US energy trader on the legal aspects of trading carbon credits and other green commodities and derivatives. Also, he has provided advice on disclosure aspects of ESG practices to a large agricultural trading firm as well as assisted an industry organization to define a market solution to pricing pollutants and improving the governance of several industry participants to make it more inclusive and diverse.
- Georgetown University Law Center, 2002, LL.M.
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 1996, J.D., with Distinction
- California State University, Sacramento, 1992, M.A.
- District of Columbia
- DC Steering Committee for Corporation, Finance and Securities Law, 2019-2022
- DC Bar Committee on Futures and Derivatives – Chairman
- Recognized in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers and the inaugural “Ones to Watch” awards
- Ranked in Chambers Global for USA Capital Markets: Derivatives and USA Capital Markets: Derivatives: Mainly Regulatory, 2020-2021
- Ranked in Chambers USA for Nationwide Capital Markets: Derivatives, including the Mainly Regulatory Spotlight table, 2016-2021
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Derivatives and Futures Law, 2020-2022
- 13 February 2019 Giancarlo’s last stand: the race to complete SEF reforms, Risk.net