Paul is a partner in Reed Smith’s Appellate Group, and served as the Group’s leader from 2012 to 2015. Paul returned to Reed Smith in 2011, after serving for approximately two years as a judge on the Alameda County Superior Court, a post to which he was appointed by California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. Before taking the bench, Paul served as a partner in the Appellate Group for more than 20 years.
Paul's practice focuses on appeals, writs, post-trial motions, and law and motion matters in a broad range of civil law areas, including unfair competition, health care, trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, defamation, products liability, taxation, contracts, public entity law, premises liability, employment, professional negligence, banking and finance, higher education and constitutional law. He has handled more than 450 appellate matters (which have produced more than 65 published opinions), including matters in the California Supreme Court, many federal Circuit Courts of Appeals, every Appellate District of the California Court of Appeal, and several other state appellate courts. He has also assisted trial counsel in a number of law and motion and posttrial motion matters that have resulted in significant victories for clients. Approximately 25 percent of Paul’s practice is in the federal appellate courts, while the remaining 75 percent is in the state appellate courts.
Paul is regularly named as one of Northern California's "Top 100 Attorneys" by Northern California Super Lawyer Magazine, has been designated as a "Super Lawyer" in appellate law annually almost every year since 2004, and has been included in Best Lawyers in America since 2006. In 2014, Chambers USA gave a high ranking to Reed Smith’s appellate practice, writing that that “Appellate group leader Paul Fogel attracts praise from sources for his strength in brief writing, and is praised for his in-depth knowledge of appellate law.” Legal 500, the world's largest legal referral guide (which provides independent and unbiased commentary on lawyers), has repeatedly recognized Paul as an appellate lawyer of distinction, and wrote that "Paul Fogel attracts praise from clients who describe him as an 'exceptional attorney with a gifted team supporting him.' He 'pays close attention to client needs,' explains another client," and "it is obvious that he has earned great credibility over the course of his career." In 2015, he was one of approximately 350 attorneys nationwide to be named a “BTI Client All Star” following independent interviews with clients and legal decisionmakers who singled him out for excellent client service.
Paul has a number of national and regional clients who engage him directly to represent them in appeals and related proceedings. He regularly provides appellate assistance to Reed Smith's trial attorneys and is frequently engaged by non-Reed Smith attorneys to consult on or handle appellate matters.
Paul was elected to the American Law Institute in 2009. He has held an appointment as Adjunct Lecturer in Appellate Advocacy at the University of California, Berkeley (Boalt Hall) School of Law since 2010. He served as a Practitioner-Advisor in Appellate Advocacy at Berkeley Law from 1990 to 2009.
- Co-author, “The Insider’s Guide to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit,” Appellate Practice Compendium, ABA Publ. (2012)
- Author, “Juges Constitutionels et Parlements – Etats-Unis,” Annuaire International de Justice Constitutionelle, Presses Universitaires d’Aix-Marseille (France) (Economica 2011)
- Contributing author, California Civil Writ Practice (CEB 3d and 4th eds.)
- Contributing author, California Civil Appellate Practice (CEB 3d and 4th eds.)
- Contributing author, California Practice Guide: Employment Law (Rutter, 2001)
- Frequent contributor of articles on appellate practice and other topics to California’s two principal legal newspapers, the Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journal and the San Francisco Recorder