In an ever-evolving health-care landscape, our managed care clients remain focused on delivering high-quality, cost-effective care to their members. Reed Smith helps our clients achieve this by providing legal services designed to help them capitalize on the opportunities and confront the challenges of the healthcare market.
With more than 50 attorneys who devote their practice exclusively to managed care, the Reed Smith team has a deep-seated and comprehensive understanding of the issues that managed care organizations face. Our attorneys work to build and maintain a culture of collaboration and trust that is based on a familiarity with the client’s business. This is evidenced not only by the number of long-term clients but also by the depth of those relationships.
Our managed care attorneys provide clients with an unparalleled, national legal expertise across the spectrum of managed care law. Our deep bench of attorneys has managed cases in all 50 states and has significant experience with niche and trending areas of law including:
- Plan design
- Plan funding
- Coverage rules under federal and state laws
- Benefits determination and pay disputes, including:
- Bad faith insurance denial litigation
- Cutting-edge coverage issues including:
- Procedures related to lipedema
- Facial feminization
- Wilderness therapy
- Inpatient behavioral health
- Preventative health benefits
- Provider pay disputes
- Contract disputes
- Out-of-network reimbursement issues
- Fraud, waste and abuse
- Surprise billing
- Deselection of providers from managed care networks
- Medicare and Medicaid issues
- Benefits and coverage disputes
- Equitable relief claims
- Complex preemption issues
- Mental Health Parity laws
- Prompt-pay penalty disputes
- Affordable Care Act
- Mandated benefits litigation
- Risk-corridor litigation
- Transactions involving integrated healthcare delivery
Reed Smith uses an interdisciplinary collaborative team approach. Our managed care team regularly works with our colleagues on matters that touch on substantive areas of law, such as labor & employment, bankruptcy, antitrust, and intellectual property. Reed Smith’s ability to tie together talent from across practices and offices leads to more comprehensive solutions that solve problems the first time, increasing the impact and economies of our services.
Further, our proprietary technology tools enable clients to better see and manage litigation portfolios. We offer advanced legal-tech solutions that are specific to health care and give us and our clients enhanced efficiency. This streamlined approach allows us to quickly access the latest opinions, motions, and research on a given topic. Additionally, our use of automated writing of legal documents results in faster turn times, creating large potential cost reductions.