Sandy is the Global Managing Partner and Executive Committee Chair of Reed Smith, a progressive, inclusive, and entrepreneurial global relationship law firm. He was elected to the Firm's senior leadership team in 2012 and has served in his present role since 2013. He orients his service to the firm around Reed Smith’s Core Values: Integrity, Excellence, Teamwork & Respect, Innovation, and Impact. Sandy’s service to clients focuses on complex disputes often involving antitrust and competition matters. He has particular experience advising clients and corporate law departments on confidentiality protections afforded by the attorney-client privilege and the work product doctrine, especially in cross-border settings. He has written and spoken extensively on these subjects.
Under Sandy’s leadership, Reed Smith has become trusted counsel to global clients in the financial services, life sciences and health, energy and natural resources, transportation, and entertainment and media industries. Sandy has led Reed Smith’s growth into key markets, including Houston, Dallas, Austin, Miami, Frankfurt, and Brussels, expanding the firm’s footprint to 30 global offices across 10 countries.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, 法学博士
- Trinity College (Hartford, Connecticut), 学士, with honors
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Virginia
- State Supreme Court - Virginia
- Virginia Information Technology Investment Board - Member, Board of Directors (2005-2008)
- Virginia Innovative Technology Authority/Virginia Center for Innovative Technology – Member, Board of Directors (2003-2005)
- Potomac Valley Bank/Mercantile-Safe Deposit and Trust Company – Member, Board of Directors (2004-2007)
- Honorable Robert R. Merhige, Jr., U.S. District Court - Eastern District of Virginia
- Recognized in Chambers USA as one of America's leading lawyers (2014, 2015).
- Selected by his peers and the publishers of Virginia Business Magazine's Legal Elite as one of Virginia's best "Civil Litigation" attorneys for 2009.