Reed Smith is delighted to co-host, for the third year running, an event in collaboration with AfricArb as part of Paris Arbitration Week 2023.
Event Type: Seminar, Webinar
- Start Date/Time:
- 27 March 2023, 2:30 PM France Daylight Time
- End Date/Time:
- 27 March 2023, 4:30 PM France Daylight Time
Arbitration specialists and environmental, social, and governance (ESG) experts (lawyers, in-house counsel, and academics) from Africa and abroad gather to discuss ESG and dispute resolution in relation to Africa.
Topics explored will include:
- The nature and instruments of ESG requirements and ESG standards (contractualization/codification)
- ESG regulations: how to balance the interest of the various stakeholders involved (governments, NGOs, industries and corporates, international and regional institutions)
- ESG in relation to the African extractive sector
- Expressions of ESG concerns in the international framework with an African case study
- New investment treaties promoting (and protecting) sustainable investments (e.g., EU/Angola in 2022)
- The role of soft law in developing ESG principles (e.g., The UN Guide on Business and Human Rights)
- Enforcement and sanctions associated with ESG noncompliance – forum used, court choice (state vs. international)