Event Type: CLE / CPD, Seminar
- Location Name:
- PLI New York Center, 1177 Avenue of the Americas, (2nd floor), New York NY 10036
- Start Date/Time:
- 14 July 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
- End Date/Time:
- 14 July 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Why You Should Attend
In today’s online media and e-commerce environment, lawyers are increasingly called upon to provide advice about trademark related issues. Familiarity with basic trademark law is quickly becoming a vital part of any lawyer’s equipment, whether one is a neophyte or a twenty-year veteran to the practice. Knowing the trademark law basics can help you fend off a baseless accusation or even eliminate a serious infringement. And staying on top of the latest trademark law developments will keep seasoned trademark lawyers current.
Designed to establish a foundational understanding for new entrants into the practice, as well as to refresh and update experienced trademark practitioners, this program features comprehensive coverage of trademark law, from its fundamental principles to recent cases and emergent issues pulled straight from the headlines. Attendees will learn about the trademark registration process, types of marks, international trademark searching and filing, spotting infringement and alternatives to litigation. Our expert faculty will employ a mix of lecture and interactive learning features, drawing from their collective experience protecting some of the world’s most iconic brands. As always, participation is strongly encouraged and all attendees are welcome to pose questions to the faculty, throughout and after the program.
What You Will Learn
- Key principles of trademark law and unfair competition: the Lanham Act, including likelihood of confusion and dilution
- Strategies for searching and clearing marks, USPTO interaction
- Trademark infringement actions, strategies, remedies and litigation alternatives
- Domestic and international registration issues, Madrid Protocol
- Recent cases and developing concerns
- Domain names and UDRP
Who Should Attend
This program is designed for attorneys and professionals seeking a review of trademark law and an update on recent issues and cases affecting trademark enforcement and the global management of trademark portfolios. Attorneys of all experience levels will find relevant content to introduce them to trademark law and assist them in their trademark practice.
Join Reed Smith Partner Clark Lackert for his presentation, entitled "International Searching and Filing Strategies." Topics will include:
- Seeking protection in different jurisdictions
- CTM and Madrid Protocol – alternatives to national filings
- Working with foreign counsel to clear marks
- Strategies for in-house counsel – what marks should be registered?
For more information, or to register, visit pli.edu.