Event Type: Seminar
On Friday, December 4, 2015, Reed Smith Partner Stephen McConnell, Sonia Chen Arnold, Assistant General Counsel – Litigation and Legal Compliance at Eli Lilly and Company, Donald Bunnin, Senior Litigation Counsel at Allergan plc, Brennan Torregrossa, Assistant General Counsel at GlaxoSmithKline, and Mary Pawelek, Executive Managing Partner at Bowman & Brooke will present "Hot Topics in Legal Ethics: Civility, Discovery, Privilege, Diversity, and More" at the American Conference Institute's 20th Annual Drug and Medical Device Litigation Conference.
Topics to be discussed include:
- Maintaining civility when litigating against an aggressive opponent
- When do you cross the line in a spirited products liability defense?
- Filing Rule 11 motions
- Balancing zealous advocacy for your client corporation with compliant corporate responsibility based on developments in the responsible corporate officer doctrine: concerns for in-house and outside counsel
- Discovery: Avoiding ethical landmines and spoliation charges in document production
- Understanding the duties of a life sciences attorney during document production in the digital age
- Applying traditional ethical analysis under the Model Rules to a previously unimaginable amount of electronic data
- Attorney-client issues: Conducting internal investigations of products liability without fear of breaking attorney client and work product privileges
- Diversity: exploring the challenges and opportunities in attracting and retaining diverse trial counsel
- How firms and companies can best implement policies that will truly effect change and promote a diverse workforce
- Moving from an intellectual understanding of the need for diversity to measurable efforts showing recruitment, retention and advancement
- Putting together a leadership team to develop and mentor diverse talent
- Drilling down into the criteria that in-house counsel looks for when choosing diverse law firms