The firm has formalized its ESG legal capabilities with nearly 60 transactional, environmental, corporate, regulatory and disputes lawyers from across the firm’s 30 offices, supporting clients across a range of industries in the face of intensifying compliance and stakeholder obligations.
The interdisciplinary team is advising clients on all aspects of environmental, social and governance issues. The firm is particularly focused on governance, which is seen as the linchpin for ensuring that clients’ ESG plans, compliance efforts and reporting systems are robust, transparent and ethical while satisfying stakeholders’ expectations for accountability.
The launch of Reed Smith’s ESG practice formalizes the firm’s longstanding offering to clients to support and advise on their environmental, social and governance requirements.
Over the years, Reed Smith has advised on hundreds of ESG matters. Recent notable examples include advising:
- A publicly traded mining company on its pioneering roadmap to net zero (view case study)
- A multinational investment bank on creating a contract that facilitates the trade of Swiss allowances alongside EU allowances, in anticipation of Phase IV of the EU ETS
- Energy generators; automotive, chemical and telecommunication manufacturers; fuel service providers; and many others on integrated environmental permit issues
- NatWest Markets on financing a €2.3 billion ESG-linked credit facility (view case study)
- Gavi on a groundbreaking malaria vaccine financing agreement (view case study)
- A UBS-affiliated fund manager on the formation of a $400 million fund focusing on impact investments in Asian health care-related businesses
- A large nonprofit on the formation of a fund to make loans to microfinance institutions to facilitate the delivery of products and services designed to promote women’s health
- A global conglomerate on Modern Slavery corporate obligations across all of its operating jurisdictions (view case study)
- On a new international finance facility for education, working with potential sovereign donors and multilateral development banks
- A global executive search company on the establishment of DE&I objectives and the preparation of sustainability reports with a focus on DE&I reporting