Margaret is a past Chair of the Insurance Committee and member of the advisory committee of the International Bar Association. Margaret specialises in marine and non-marine insurance and she has extensive experience of representing clients in both arbitration and court proceedings. She has particular expertise in coverage disputes, involving commercial and mortgage indemnity insurance, finance insurance, marine cargo insurance, energy risks, political risks, directors’ and officers’ insurance and reinsurance. She advises on Warranty and Indemnity insurance and due diligence in mergers and acquisitions. Clients include banks, energy companies, major ship owners, P&I Clubs, brokers, policy holders and their errors and omissions underwriters. On the professional negligence side, her main area of practice is in relation to brokers’ defence work and solicitors’ defence work. She has also acted for a banking client in a successful multi-million claim against a firm of valuers. She has represented professional negligence clients in the High Court and in mediations. Margaret is an accredited mediator with CEDR and ADR Chambers.
- University of Oxford, Wadham College, M.A.
- College of Law, Lancaster Gate
- England and Wales
Awards & Recognition
- Ranked in Chambers Global for UK Insurance: Mainly Policyholders, 2017-2023
- Ranked in Chambers UK for UK-wide Insurance: Mainly Policyholders, 2020-2023
- Listed as a Leading Lawyer in The Legal 500 UK for Insurance litigation: for policyholders, 2020-2023
- Selected for "Insurance Legal Expert" and “Women in Business Law” by Legal Experts 2015
- Selected as a "Super Lawyer" by 2015 London Super Lawyers
- Selected as "Insurance Legal Expert" by Legal Experts 2014
- Shortlisted for “Women in Business Law” by Euromoney 2014
- Selected as a "Super Lawyer" by 2014 London Super Lawyers
- Shortlisted for “Best in Insurance & Reinsurance" by Women in Business Law Awards 2012