Benjamin joined Reed Smith in 2015 and provides firmwide support to the Business & Finance and Litigation Departments. His background includes over 15 years of litigation and trial experience in insurance defense. Through his work as an insurance defense litigator, Ben has also had a great deal of experience researching and giving opinions on coverage disputes. Ben’s litigation experience focused on various practice areas, such as construction accidents, fire litigation, natural gas explosion litigation, electric utility liability, automobile accident litigation, trademark defense litigation, product liability litigation, worker’s compensation litigation, employment law, asbestos litigation, and toxic tort litigation. Benjamin has also performed extensive legal research and writing, including appellate briefing, summary judgment briefing, pretrial motion practice, and discovery motions, and has worked as well on discovery and document review projects, and pleading drafting. Ben has been both first and second chair trial counsel in over 10 cases brought to jury verdict and has a great deal of experience in taking depositions including depositions of expert witnesses in both scientific and medical trial roles. At trial, Ben has successfully carried the defense of various clients through from opening statement to verdict.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 1997, J.D., Member of University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Law and Finance Journal (1997); Second Place Finisher in Murray Love Mock Trial Moot Court Competition (1998); Vice President of University of Pittsburgh Student Bar Association (1997)
- University of Pittsburgh, 1994, B.S., Psychology, Golden Key National Honor Society (1994); Honors College (1990)
- U.S. District Court - Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals - Third Circuit
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pittsburgh Pro-Bono Project – Volunteer Attorney