Rob is a partner in the Entertainment & Media Industry Group. His practice focuses on privacy, data security, marketing, e-commerce and intellectual property matters. He has extensive experience advising consumer brands, agencies, content creators, and publishers on privacy and marketing regulatory compliance, the protection and commercialization of their creative properties, and litigation risk avoidance in connection with data privacy, intellectual property and emerging technologies.
Recognized as a “Client Service All-Star” (BTI Consulting Group), Rob is a trusted business advisor working closely with clients to protect their data and creative advantages in the following areas:
Data Privacy and Security: Regulatory and compliance counseling, including with respect to transparency, interest-based advertising, “big data,” consumer rights, privacy-by-design, mobile marketing, digital media, and cross-border matters. Rob advises clients on the privacy implications associated with new technologies, negotiates deals involving significant data assets, and assists clients in the assessment and development of internal data privacy and security programs and practices in view of the evolving regulatory landscape (including, for example, the CCPA, CPRA, CDPA, GDPR, BIPA, and the TCPA).
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D.
- University of Illinois, B.A.
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- Board of Directors, Illinois Legal Aid Online
- Board of Directors, Lawyers for the Creative Arts
- Adjunct Professor, Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Former Co-Chair of the Internet and Privacy Subcommittee of the IP Litigation Committee, American Bar Association
- Former Chair of the Trademark Transactions Committee, former Vice Chair of the Trademark Litigation and Trademark Legislation Committees, and former Annual Review Vice Chair (Copyright Division), American Bar Association
- Former member, Internet Committee and GAC Subcommittee, International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member, The Recording Academy
- Ranked in Chambers USA for Nationwide Advertising: Transactional and Regulatory and for Illinois Media & Entertainment: Transactional, (2023)
- Named a “Best Lawyer” in Privacy and Data Security Law, by The Best Lawyers in America (2020 - 2024)
- Named in The Legal 500 US in Cyber Law, published by Legalease Limited and John Pritchard (2019-2020)
- Recommended in World Trademark Review 1000 United States - Illinois (2020-2021), WTR is part of The IP Media Group
- Named a “Client Service All-Star” by BTI Consulting Group (2018)
- Named among “Top Emerging Lawyers in Illinois” in Intellectual Property Law by the Leading Lawyers Network (2015-2021)