Richard advises energy and natural resources companies, commodity trading companies and banks in connection with all aspects of their commodities-related business, be that the financing, trading or transportation of bulk commodities.
Richard regularly provides support to clients (a) when considering a new business opportunity and wanting to assess the risks associated with that opportunity (b) having assessed the risks, when structuring and documenting the transaction and; (c) once a contract or transaction is in place, but counterparty risk or market conditions are negatively impacting its execution. Frequently, Richard's input in the early stages of a transaction helps avoid a costly and time consuming dispute.
In addition to advisory work, Richard has extensive experience of structuring and documenting the commercial arrangements linked to the acquisition, disposal or restructuring of assets or business.
Richard handles a large number of trade related disputes in arbitration at the various commodity trade associations, as well as at the LCIA, the ICC and in courts both in the UK and internationally.
Richard is listed in the Legal 500 2020 “Hall of Fame” for Commodities: Physicals in recognition of constant praise by clients for continued excellence; named Star Lawyer in 2019 in the Acritas Star Lawyer database of stand-out lawyers nominated by clients’ senior in-house counsel for their exceptional client service; is recognised in the 2020 UK Best Lawyers List for commodities; and is routinely ranked as a "Leading Lawyer" by Legal 500 UK, and ranked in “Band 1” by Chambers:
- Chambers UK 2022 comments Richard "has a calm and assured expertise which makes you feel safe. He is very frank and has massive amounts of expertise. His willingness to pick up the phone and his responsiveness is a testament to his commitment." "He is a brilliant lawyer who knows his stuff."
- Chambers UK 2021 states “Richard is one of the top commodities lawyers and is very knowledgeable.” “Richard is very experienced and a good practitioner.”
- Chambers UK 2020 comments Richard is "well regarded among the client community", as “fantastic” and “the best there is at soft commodities"
- Chambers UK 2019 comments Richard is “very professional and has got a very analytical mind. He is also able to bring a calm approach”
- Legal 500 UK 2017 describes Richard as “a very good lawyer of whom clients always speak highly”
- Legal 500 UK 2016 describes Richard as “a sure pair of hands in a crisis”
- Legal 500 UK 2014 says Richard is “at the top of the league”
- Legal 500 UK 2012 comments that Richard is “one of the most highly regarded commodities lawyers”
- Chambers UK 2017 comments that Richard is “well liked and regarded by the market"
- Chambers UK 2016 describes Richard as "an excellent technical lawyer"
- Chambers UK 2014 mentions Richard as “an outstanding commodities lawyer" and comments that he provides “quick, sound advice and ensures client service is key”.