Richard advises energy and natural resources companies, commodity trading companies and banks in connection with all aspects of their commodities-related business, be that the financing, trading or transportation of bulk commodities.
Richard regularly provides support to clients (a) when considering a new business opportunity and wanting to assess the risks associated with that opportunity (b) having assessed the risks, when structuring and documenting the transaction and; (c) once a contract or transaction is in place, but counterparty risk or market conditions are negatively impacting its execution. Frequently, Richard's input in the early stages of a transaction helps avoid a costly and time consuming dispute.
In addition to advisory work, Richard has extensive experience of structuring and documenting the commercial arrangements linked to the acquisition, disposal or restructuring of assets or business. He handles a large number of trade related disputes in arbitration at the various commodity trade associations, as well as at the LCIA, the ICC and in courts both in the UK and internationally.
Richard is routinely ranked as “a leading individual” by Legal 500, and rated as “Band 1” by Chambers:
- Legal 500 UK 2016 describes Richard as “a sure pair of hands in a crisis”
- Legal 500 UK 2014 says Richard is “at the top of the league”
- Legal 500 UK 2012 comments that Richard is “one of the most highly regarded commodities lawyers”
- Chambers UK 2017 comments that Richard is “well liked and regarded by the market"
- Chambers UK 2016 describes Richard as "an excellent technical lawyer"
- Chambers UK 2014 mentions Richard as “an outstanding commodities lawyer" and comments that he provides “quick, sound advice and ensures client service is key”.