Reed Smith’s Crypto and Digital Assets Group is at the forefront of providing advice about blockchain-based platforms, cryptocurrencies and other digital assets. This group has more than 100 lawyers working across the United States, United Kingdom, Europe, Asia and Middle East, and provides a full range of support in this rapidly growing space.
We increasingly work with organizations across all industries on emerging blockchain, cryptocurrency and ledger technologies. Our crypto-digital assets group advises on initial company structures, funding transactions, navigating regulatory frameworks, and designing and launching NFTs, platform tokens and other digital assets. It also leverages the experience and knowledge of our finance team to help clients create sophisticated domestic and cross-border financing structures involving digital assets.
We work with investors, brokerages, exchanges, governments and global consortiums on the legal issues that arise when developing and implementing decentralized governance structures and services. We provide regulatory, transactional, financial and commercial advice.
We have strong relationships with the leading regulators in the sector, including the Securities and Exchange Commission, Commodity Futures Trading Commission and Office of the Comptroller of the Currency in the United States; the Financial Conduct Authority in the United Kingdom; the BaFin in Germany; the Securities and Futures Commission and Hong Kong Monetary Authority in Hong Kong and the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
We have a rigorous internal training program (including by Anthony Pompliano's Inflection Points) that goes beyond the law and ensures our team are on top of the latest developments in the Web3 space.
Our services include:
- M&A and JVs
- Fund formation
- Early stage advice and growth
- Formation and launch of crypto companies from seed
- Online lending
- Bank partnerships
- Crypto-backed card issuance
- NFT sales
- Blockchain transactions
- Bitcoin mining: investment structuring/commercial agreements/tax/regulatory/environmental
- Advice - Regulatory regimes: U.S., UK, Germany, Hong Kong, Singapore
- Institutional cryptocurrency and bitlicensing
- Digital asset custody
- Digital asset trading platforms (Exchanges)
- Commodities and derivatives
- Digital asset fund formation
- Patent portfolio management
- Content licensing, assignment and artwork
- Intellectual property
- Data and privacy
- Product launching
- Token vetting
Litigation and Enforcement
- Data privacy breaches
- Distributed ledger technologies / blockchain software, including SaaS implementations and associated database structures