In your industry, perhaps no asset matters more than your intellectual property. For decades, our lawyers have played critical roles in obtaining, defending and enforcing intellectual property rights in the most technologically-advanced countries in the world. We are available to assist in every aspect of your IP needs, from strategic counseling to obtaining and licensing IP rights, to their defense and enforcement. We, at Reed Smith, have an unparalleled skill-set at evaluating IP portfolios for companies that are considering sale or acquisition of IP rights. We file and prosecute patent and trademark applications, clear products for commercialization, and defend and enforce claims of infringement involving drug, medical device, diagnostic and biologic technology, including ANDA litigation under the Hatch-Waxman Act.
Our team has assisted life sciences companies like yours in a wide variety of therapeutic areas including cancer, respiratory diseases, bone diseases, pain management, anti-inflammatories, and cardiovascular diseases. This depth of experience extends to many related fields and encompasses chemistry, biochemistry, molecular and cell biology, recombinant DNA technology, microbiology, immunology and many other areas. You will reap the benefit from having our lawyers with advanced degrees and decades of industrial experience in many of these cutting-edge scientific disciplines, on your side.
Our services include:
- Providing global experience in intellectual property litigation in the life sciences sector, especially for branded pharmaceuticals and medical devices, including successfully bringing and defending matters in multiple tribunals, both trial and appellate, in the United States and Europe, including Germany, England and France - We litigate IP disputes of all types, including those involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, unfair competition and trade secrets. Our international offices make us particularly effective in section 337 actions in the International Trade Commission.
- Appearing in virtually every venue across the United States, from the district courts to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit to the U.S. Supreme Court - We have handled numerous after-grant review proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. And, we have extensive experience in all phases of Hatch-Waxman litigation on behalf of branded pharmaceutical companies in the most popular ANDA jurisdictions, including the United States District Courts of Delaware and New Jersey.
- Working with in-house and outside regulatory counsel to prepare submissions involving life sciences IP, such as Orange Book listings, Patent Term Extension requests, and Citizen Petitions
- Interfacing with scientists, in-house business representatives, and in-house counsel to create comprehensive strategies to maximize the value of your IP assets, through the prosecution of existing rights, the creation of new rights, the acquisition of third party rights, and the establishment of better in-house protections of trade secrets
- Evaluating the quality and breadth of existing IP estates, including assessing and repairing existing protections, and assisting with the business determinations as to which assets are most important to protect or acquire, as well as the most cost-effective strategies for doing so
- Providing patent counseling services, including freedom-to-operate searches and analyses and pre-generic competition due diligence for a range of life sciences products, including small molecules (e.g., new chemical entities and derivatives), biologics, medical devices, formulations, methods of treatment, and manufacturing processes
- Supplying the entire range of IP licensing, transactional and collaboration services, including IP transactions with both universities and small entities seeking to partner with branded companies to develop and commercialize life sciences technology
- Establishing, enhancing, and maintaining trademark portfolios, attending to all matters, from filings to the maintenance of policing programs against infringement