Described as “‘a brilliant strategist who always has absolute command of the subject matter and is always prepared,’…” and cited for his “‘extraordinary critical thinking skills, strategic planning, extensive international relationships and depth of experience,’ which ‘put him on a level all by himself,’” José Astigarraga is an experienced advocate who represents clients in international business disputes.
Experience. In the course of more than 30 years of practice, Astigarraga has handled a broad array of matters. His experience includes representing companies in disputes stemming from joint ventures, distribution agreements, licensing arrangements, shareholder agreements, corporate acquisitions, supply agreements, power projects, EPC and other construction contracts, credit, investment and other financial contracts, telecommunications agreements, utility/public service tariffs, insurance coverage, performance bonds and foreign judgments. Fully fluent in both English and Spanish, Astigarraga has handled cases emanating from virtually every country in Latin America.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D.
- University of Miami, B.A.
- London Court of International Arbitration, Vice President
- International Bar Association’s worldwide Task Force on the Guidelines for Arbitrator Conflicts of Interest
- Rules Advisory Committee of the International Center for Dispute Resolution
- International Chamber of Commerce’s Latin American Arbitration Group
- Listed as a Leading Lawyer for International Arbitration in Legal 500 USA & Legal 500 Latin America, 2019
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Arbitration, Commercial Litigation, International Arbitration - Commercial, and Litigation - Banking and Finance, 2003-2020
- Recognized by Who's Who Legal Thought Leaders 2019 for Florida
- Selected for inclusion on the Florida Super Lawyers list for International (2006-2019)
- Ranked as a top Latin America-wide International Arbitration practitioner in Chambers Latin America, 2020