José Astigarraga is an experienced advocate who represents clients in international business disputes. Based on interviews of his clients and peers, Chambers and Legal 500 have reported:
- “José Astigarraga is ‘a brilliant strategist who always has absolute command of the subject matter and is always prepared’.” 1
- “Central to the practice is team leader José Astigarraga, whose ‘performance at arbitration hearings is simply extraordinary’.” 2
- “Sources highlight José Astigarraga for his ‘extraordinary critical thinking skills, strategic planning, extensive international relationships and depth of experience,’ which ‘put him on a level all by himself’.” 3
- “‘I won't find a superlative great enough to highlight his professionalism; his advice is insightful and accurate at all times, but especially in difficult situations. He is a master at devising strategies.’”4
- He is an “absolutely fantastic and definitely first-tier practitioner” with “total dedication to achieving the best possible result for his client.”5
In the course of more than 30 years of practice, Astigarraga has handled a broad array of matters. His experience includes representing companies in a variety of industries including in disputes stemming from concession agreements, construction contracts, distribution agreements, investment & other financial disputes, joint ventures, licensing arrangements, petrochemical contracts and projects, power/energy projects, shareholder agreements, state contracts & investment disputes, and utility/public service tariffs, among others.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
- University of Miami, B.A., summa cum laude
- International Chamber of Commerce Commission on Arbitration, Member
- Co-chair, ICC Task Force on Enhancing the Value of Witness Evidence
- London Court of International Arbitration, former Vice President
- International Bar Association’s worldwide Task Force on the Guidelines for Arbitrator Conflicts of Interest, former Chair
- Rules Advisory Committee of the International Center for Dispute Resolution, Member
- Institute for Transnational Arbitration, Vice Chair
Récompenses et distinctions
- “Highly recommended” in 2023 edition of the Latin Lawyer 250 – Litigation
- “Highly recommended” in 2023 edition of the Latin Lawyer 250 – Arbitration
- Ranked in Chambers USA for Nationwide International Arbitration, 2017-2023.
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Arbitration; International Arbitration - Commercial; and International Arbitration - Governmental, 2022-2023, and for Commercial Litigation and Litigation - Banking and Finance, 2023
- One of only 26 lawyers ranked as Leading Lawyers of international arbitration by Legal 500 USA 2021-2023.
- One of only ten U.S.-based lawyers ranked in the top band of International Arbitration practitioners by Chambers Global 2017-2023
- Ranked as a Leading Lawyer, 2017-2022, and in the Hall of Fame, 2023, for international arbitration by Legal 500 Latin America .
- Ranked in the Global Guide, Who’s Who Legal: Arbitration 2021.
- Ranked as a Commercial Arbitration Expert in Euromoney’s Expert Guide 2020.
- One of only six lawyers worldwide ranked in the top band of international arbitration practitioners for Latin American business disputes by Chambers Latin America 2022.
- One of only twelve lawyers ranked in the top band of international arbitration practitioners in the United States by Chambers USA 2021.
- Named by Best Lawyers as 2019 and 2021 Miami Arbitration “Lawyer of the Year.”
- University of Miami School of Law’s Inter-American Law Review “Lawyer of the Americas” Award for his contributions in the field of international law.