Dennis is a Senior Counsel in our Government Relations and Administrative Law Group. He provides clients strategic counsel on their interactions with federal, state, and local government entities, including legislatures, executive branch agencies and regulatory bodies.
Dennis brings deep experience in environmental issues, having served as director of the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, an assistant attorney general in the natural resources section of the Virginia Attorney General's office, and the current chair of VIRGINIAforever, a unique environmental organization whose members are drawn from both businesses as well as natural resource and environmental organizations.
Particularly adept at developing creative approaches to advance client's business objectives, Dennis' background makes sure he takes into account concerns of natural resources and environmental advocacy groups. He also serves as the Rector of the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors and is the immediate past board chair of the Virginia Chamber of Commerce.
- Lewis & Clark Law School, 1983, J.D.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1978, B.A.
- West Virginia
- Virginia Tech Board of Visitors, Rector
- Smithfield Foundation, Board Member
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce, Board Chairman
- VIRGINIAforever, Chairman
- Chesapeake Bay Commission, Member
- Gerald P. McCarthy Award for Leadership in Environmental Conflict Resolution (2013)
- Distinguished Environmental Law Graduate (2010)
- Environmental Council of the States Founder’s Award (2006)
- Environment Virginia’s Environmental Legacy Award (2001)
- Elizabeth River Project’s Lighthouse Award (2001)
- Environment Virginia’s Outstanding Environmental Leader Award (2000)