Based on peer surveys from Business Research and its flagship IP publication, World Trademark Review, the WTR 1000 is an authoritative guide to the world’s leading trademark professionals.
In the 2022 edition, Reed Smith again received praise for its U.S.-based trademark teams in California and Illinois, and for its Europe-based teams in the United Kingdom and France.
The guide highlighted seven partners in the firm’s Silicon Valley, San Francisco, London, and Paris offices — Katy Basile, Jason Garcia, Carolyn Pepper, Robert Phillips, Jonathan Radcliffe, Marianne Schaffner and Michael Skrein — for the second year in a row.
Of the firm’s U.S.-based trademark lawyers, the 2022 WTR 1000 said:
“Reed Smith has a great team of trademark lawyers who are great to work with on prosecution and portfolio management. Their work is always of a very high standard and they take a collaborative approach.”
The 2022 guide again top-ranked the firm’s California trademark group for its achievements in both “prosecution and strategy” and “enforcement and litigation.”
As in the 2021 guide, three California partners — Katy Basile, Jason Garcia and Rob Phillips — were named among the world’s best trademark professionals. As the guide stated:
- “At the forefront of the practice, Katherine Basile has in-house experience on her CV and takes care to tailor her service, which encompasses all aspects of trademark protection, enforcement and monetization, to business need.”
- “Another adept counsellor, Jason Garcia leans on his USPTO background to guide clients along the path to successful rights procurement.”
- “Robert Phillips … is truly a master when it comes to adversarial matters.”
Reed Smith’s UK- and France-based trademark teams were highlighted, earning listings as among the most recommended international trademark firms for enforcement and litigation. As the 2022 WTR 1000 guide states:
“Reed Smith’s IP practice is expansive, in terms of both its geographical reach and the breadth of issues it can cover. The firm is home to 100-plus IP lawyers across Europe, Asia and the United States – all of whom collaborate closely and regularly to superb effect. As well as its proficiency in IP, the group leverages expertise across every area of corporate law – including a significant media and entertainment practice – meaning that whatever questions clients ask, they will always receive a well-informed answer.”
Three London partners were again highlighted: Carolyn Pepper, Jonathan Radcliffe and Michael Skrein; and Paris- based partner Marianne Schaffner was again top ranked in France. As the 2022 WTR 1000 noted:
- “Michael Skrein is a senior member of the profession and an excellent lawyer with many years of experience. He is a great strategist and gets great results, which is why clients seek him out again and again.”
- “Jonathan Radcliffe is one of just two English solicitors to have brought both patent and trademark cases before the UK Supreme Court.”
- “Carolyn Pepper focuses on media players, tackling even their most challenging issues. Carolyn is very good with clients, explaining things clearly and laying out what is going to happen. Whenever you pick up the phone to her, she will always give you good advice.”
- “Marianne Schaffner is likewise praised for being “business oriented and skilled at handling complex, high-stakes disputes.”
About the WTR 1000
The WTR 1000 is a unique guide that identifies the top trademark professionals in key jurisdictions around the globe. The WTR 1000 focuses exclusively on trademark practice and has firmly established itself as the definitive ‘go-to’ resource for those seeking world-class legal trademark expertise.
The WTR 1000 identifies the leading professionals and firms that are deemed outstanding at obtaining, protecting, managing, enforcing and monetizing trademarks. WTR undertakes exhaustive qualitative research, identifying top firms and individuals based on their depth of expertise, market presence and sophistication of work. WTR conducts in-person, telephone and video interviews, and gathers written submissions from firms detailing their recent activity in the field.
About Reed Smith
Reed Smith is a dynamic international law firm dedicated to helping clients move their businesses forward. With an inclusive culture and innovative mindset, we deliver smarter, more creative legal services that drive better outcomes for our clients. Our deep industry knowledge, long-standing relationships and collaborative structure make us the go-to partner for complex disputes, transactions, and regulatory matters.
For further information, please visit reedsmith.com.