Michael is a partner in Reed Smith’s Global Corporate Group and currently serves as the lead member of the firm’s Global Executive Committee. He previously served as managing partner of the firm’s Chicago office for 14 years and as chairman of the Retirement Committee.
- Columbia University School of Law, 1980, J.D., Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Georgetown University, 1977, A.B., Phi Beta Kappa
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- Director, Chicago Bar Foundation, Chair of Development Committee
- Member, Catholic Charities Board of Advisors
- Member, Lyric Opera of Chicago Estate and Trust Advisory Board
- St. Ignatius College Prep Planned Giving Estate Planning Advisory Board
- Member, Chicago Estate Planning Council
- Founding Member, University of Illinois at Chicago Family Business Council
- Past Chairman, Chicago Bar Association Trust Law Committee
- Past President, Queen of All Saints School Council
Premios y reconocimientos
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© for Trusts and Estates, 2016-2023
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list for Estate & Probate, 2006-2023
- Listed as one of the Top 100 lawyers in Illinois by Illinois Super Lawyers magazine, 2006
- Recognized in Crain's Chicago Business special report, "Who's Who" in the law
- Selected as an Acritas Stars stand-out lawyer in 2020
- "In Whom Do You Trust," (regarding best practices for choosing a trustee), Northern Trust's Wealth magazine.
- "Adventurer Steve Fossett's Widow Dismisses Faked Death Claims," The Telegraph.
- "Your Wealth at Risk: Protecting Your Portfolio in an Era of Uncertainty," Worth magazine.
- "Real-life Solutions for Family Conflicts," Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine.
- "Succession: Strategically Creating a Successful Succession Plan," Chicago Lawyer magazine.
- "Why Do Mergers Die? It's Like Dating," lawjobs.com.
- "Setting Themselves Apart From the Pack," Chicago Lawyer magazine.