Alex is a partner in our Transportation Group. He has particular interests in Brazil, Korea, Europe and the Middle East. He was appointed a partner in 1991. Alex is co-lead of our Korean business team.
He has acted in two significant cases to go before the House of Lords, namely the "HILL HARMONY" and the "GIANNIS NK". The "HILL HARMONY" is the case that determined the rights as between Charterers and the Master to determine the route the vessel is to take. The "GIANNIS NK" is now the leading case on the carriage of dangerous goods by sea. Other leading reported cases include the "ZENOVIA" (2009) EWHC 739 (Comm) on redelivery notices, the "CENK KAPTANOGLU" (2012) EWHC 273 (Comm) on setting aside a contract for economic duress, the “LORY” (2019) EWHC 2804 on where negotiating damages will be awarded where the innocent party has suffered no loss and the “GRAND ACE 12” (2019) EWHC 928 on the requirements to establish an exclusive jurisdiction clause.
- University of Oxford, 文学硕士, Jurisprudence
- Ranked in Chambers Asia-Pacific for South Korea Shipping: International Firms, 2018-2023
- Ranked in Chambers Global for South Korea Shipping: International Firms, 2022-2023
- Ranked in Chambers Global for South Korea Shipping (Expertise based abroad) in UK, 2017-2023
- Ranked in Chambers UK for UK-wide Shipping, 2015-2024
- Listed as a 'Leading Individual' in The Legal 500 UK for Transport: Shipping, 2021-2024
- Listed as a ‘Super Lawyer’ in the 2015 list of London Super Lawyers
- Selected through peer review for inclusion in The Best Lawyers™ in the United Kingdom for Shipping Law, 2020-2024
- One source singles out maritime litigator Alex Andrews for his "strong reputation in the market" and "experience in dealing with complex and high-value disputes." An impressed client adds: "His advice is academically very strong and really gets to the bottom of the legal issues, but at the same time considers the client’s strategy and practical needs." - Shipping - International Firms
- "Alex Andrews really gets to the bottom of the legal issues, but at the same time his advice considers the clients' strategy and practical needs." - Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021